Diplomatic passport is a document issued by the relevant executive authority of the Republic of Azerbaijan (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan) to carry out the right of persons belonging to the Republic of Azerbaijan to leave the Republic of Azerbaijan and to come to Azerbaijan, confirming their identity and nationality outside the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan, is an official document valid for business trips for all countries.
According to Article 6 of the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan "About Passports", the diplomatic passport shall be issued to the following persons by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan:
1) to the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan no later than 15 days after the commencement of his duties, deputies of Milli Majlis of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Chairman of the Chamber of Accounts of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Deputy Chairman and Auditors, to the members of the Cabinet of Ministers, the judges of the Constitutional Court, the Supreme Court, to the judge selected from the Republic of Azerbaijan in the European Court of Human Rights, the chairmen of the appellate courts, the Attorney General and his Deputies, Attorney of the Republic of Azerbaijan for Human Rights (Ombudsman), Members of the Judicial Legal Council, Chairman of the Central Bank and his deputies, Director of the Financial Monitoring Service under the Central Bank, The Chairman of the Central Election Commission of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Head of the Administration of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Head of the State of the Republic of Azerbaijan, as well as the Milli Mejlis of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Cabinet of Ministers of the Chamber of Accounts and senior officials of the Constitutional Court (including senior managers) the heads of the authorities, the diplomatic service staff, as well as the Chairman of the Supreme Assembly of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic and his deputies, members of the Cabinet of Ministers, the Chairman of the Supreme Court of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic and the Deputy Chairman, the Prosecutor of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic;
2) In accordance with decrees of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Chairman of the Milli Mejlis of the Republic of Azerbaijan and, in exceptional cases, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan to members of delegations representing the Republic of Azerbaijan and the special representative at the international conferences, consultations and negotiations, at the sessions of the UN General Assembly, the UN bodies, at the international organizations' conferences, intergovernmental meetings and contacts;
3) To the wife (husband) accompanying the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Chairman of the Milli Majlis, the Prime Minister, the Chairman of the Constitutional Court, the judge selected from the Azerbaijan Republic to the European Court of Human Rights, the Minister of Foreign Affairs and other persons abroad for more than 3 months, children under the age of 18, disabled children aged 18 and unmarried daughter under the age of 18;
4) To employees of courier service carrying diplomatic correspondence;
5) To the officers of the relevant executive authority serving in diplomatic representations and consulates of the Republic of Azerbaijan in foreign countries and international organizations;
6) To trade representatives of embassies and consulates of the Republic of Azerbaijan operating abroad;
7) military attachés, military representatives operating in foreign states and international organizations appointed by the relevant executive authority, as well as other officer staff of the military attache and military representative offices;
8) Representatives of the relevant executive authority in foreign states and international organizations.
There is no state fee for issuing or renewal a diplomatic passport.
The diplomatic passport is issued to its holder for a period of five years or for a period of time eligibility for the exercise of special powers.
The diplomatic passport is granted for life to the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the former President of the Republic of Azerbaijan and his wife (husband), the Chairman of the Milli Majlis, the Prime Minister, the Chairman of the Constitutional Court and the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
This passport gives the right to use diplomatic immunity abroad. All authorized persons are obliged to provide diplomatic passport holder and those inscribed in it with assistance to safely and securely cross the border and, if necessary, provide with help and advocacy.
Attention! Visa obtaining to a foreign country in connection with the service trip for the citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan holders of a diplomatic passport (except for those countries where mutual agreement on visa-free travel in accordance with international treaties) is issued on the basis of the relevant verbal note of the Consular Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan to apply to diplomatic represenations or consulates located (or accredited) in the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Processing of the application form for the passport issuance
- Depending on the type of passport of the citizen (application of the enterprise, administration, organization) on the passport issuance, within the timeframe specified in Articles 4, 5 or 6 of this Law, if the trip is for immediate treatment of a person traveling abroad or accompanying him/her connected with serious illness or death these documents are considered at least the latest 48 hours after submitting the document.
- Citizen's right to go abroad is temporarily restricted by the circumstances mentioned in the Migration Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the reasons for the issuance of a passport shall be rejected in written form to the applicant (s) and its another application shall be considered after removal of the reasons for refusal.
- If a false or misleading information about a citizen has been submitted, the passport is denied and can only be considered after submitting new documents.
- Refusal to issue a passport in connection with the protection of state secrets is made only in the cases stipulated by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
- Citizens may lodge an administrative complaint and (or) a complaint to the court for delay or rejection of the application for the issue of a passport.
Responsibility for breach of this Law
- In case of incorrect passport information, theft, falsification, sale, illegal preparation or use of the passport, the guilty persons bear administrative and criminal responsibility in the manner prescribed by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Passport of the citizen of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Passport of the citizen of the Republic of Azerbaijan (hereinafter - passport) is a single document proving the identity of the citizen outside of the Republic of Azerbaijan, as well as the right to leave the country and come to the country.
- The passport is issued to citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan in the manner prescribed by this Law and is valid for travel to all countries.
- The passport has a variety of ordinary, service and diplomatic forms. The description, specification and sample of passports shall be approved by the relevant executive authority.
- Passport is the property of the Republic of Azerbaijan, its acquisition or seizure of a citizen is strictly prohibited with the exception of cases stipulated by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
- Each citizen is obliged to keep his passport safe. When a passport is lost, the citizen must immediately inform the relavent authority issuing it and if such an event takes place abroad then the diplomatic representation or consulate of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Diplomatic representation or consulates of the Republic of Azerbaijan together with the relevant executive authority of the Republic of Azerbaijan shall provide such citizens with a document that gives them the right to return to the Republic of Azerbaijan in a short period of time.
- When a citizen dies, his passport, as well as the expired passport shall be handed over to the relevant state body.
Documents required for issuance of a diplomatic passport
To issue or renew a diplomatic passport of the citizen of the Republic of Azerbaijan it is necessary to submit the following documents:
- One filled out in a specific form application of the enterprise (administration, organization) which represents the applicant
a (for officials themselves) (sample is attached);
b (for family members of officials (sample is attached);
- Original must be submitted immediately after it has been filled out with the seal of the relevant public authority represented by the person and the signature of the head of the company.
- 2 color photographs of the person (3x4 cm in white background);
- triginal letter of the relevant state body representing the applicant with information providing the necessity for issuance of diplomatic passport addressed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan, and explaining the reason to go for a business trip to a foreign country (business trip date and, if necessary, the term of office of a person in relation to the business trips);
- original and copy of identity card;
- original and copy of previous diplomatic passport;
- copy of the marriage certificate for the official's family members;
- a notarized consent of both parents for a child under the age of 18;
- if application for a child of the official who’s under the age of 15 - a medical certificate about the blood group (this document is not required when a child's identity card is submitted);
- Passport should be renewed when it’s expired or when the citizen's last name, first name, middle name is changed, or if the passport, including its electronic chip, is unusable or if the information on the passport or electronic carrier is incorrect.
Note: When a passport is issued to the children of the official who has the right to obtain a diplomatic passport, only children who already turned the age of fifteen shall put their signature with their officials;
Information provided on the passport
Regardless of their type, each passport:
- Name of the Republic of Azerbaijan, state emblem, country code, passport type, number, last name, name, middle name, citizenship, place of birth and date, sex, personal identification number, blood group, name of issuing authority, date of issue, validity period, passport holder's personal signature, passport related requirements are indicated;
- a passport holder's face description, a specification indicating the presence of a carrier (chip), and an inscription containing two lines that can be read by a machine;
- Permissions (visas) and other special (customs and border crossing points) notes are made for entry to a foreign country.
- In addition, the service passport shall indicate in the third part of Article 5 of this Law and in the diplomatic passport the circumstances provided for in the fifth part of Article 6 of this Law.
- Passport writings are displayed in the state language of the Republic of Azerbaijan and in the English language.
- Electronic carrier (chip) is placed on the passport. The electronic carrier (chip) shall include information provided in paragraph 1 of this Article (except for the passport holder's signature), face identification of the passport holder, fingerprint of a citizen at the age of fifteen and other information provided by the relevant executive authority.
- An official who enters the information provided in this Article in the passport or in his electronic carrier is responsible for the accuracy of that information.